Working in Wales

Brayve Cardiff

It seems like Brayve having opened in Cardiff, will be around permanenetly. Very soon. In fact I will be moving my main operation from Glasgow to Cardiff before the end of this year. Why? Well Glasgow is a place that has seen the ebb and flow of many of my relationships. My relationships with lovers, my children and also God. I came to Glasgow as a Jew and I am leaving as a Christian. I arrived with a nest of three young children and I am leaving empty nested. I arrived with a spouse and I am leaving single.

While most people are aware that it takes some effort to maintain balance in their lives and work away at discarding at least some of the baggage they collect. Others have to consciously whittle away at carving some semblance of the life they desire. I am one of the "others".

We all eventually get to the point where we just want a quiet life. All I want is a warm dry roof over my head, a plate of food on the table and some peace and quiet to enjoy a pleasures in life. Of course we all enjoy different pleasures.

So Why Cardiff? Well actually it's Brecon. Aboout eighteen months ago I discovered the beauty of rural Wales. In fact I completely fell in love with it. The nature of my job means that I need access to the internet, so while a secluded cottage in the middle of nowhere would be ideal, I still have to provide. I found the perfect cottage, just across from the Cathedral. 

That ticks two boxes - I can practice my faith and still have a quiet little place to live, it also has an annexe that was built as an office with seperate street access. Working from home will be easy, with the office space. While I will still have to drive to Cardiff at least once a week, the rest of my life will suddenly hit the slow lane and I will be able to focus on my retirement plan.

My work day starts at about 4:00am so I take a break around lunch time and can enjoy the countryside on my doorstep during daylight hours. The dog is finally going to lose some weight. I might too. Not a bad thing.

I do wonder how the locals are going to react to a new techie in the neighbourhood. But lets just see. I hope I can bring a breath of fresh and and some success locally.

The process has been very difficult. Set aside the fears and worries I have relating to my adult children, the practical process of moving has not been easy. I found the house I fancied, called the agent. Went to have a look. Filled in the forms and handed them to the agent. The Landlord wanted to meet me. So I travelled three hundred and forty eight miles to see them and to introduce the dog. Then I drove three hundred and forty eight miles back.

Since I am self employed, I was asked for copies of my personal bank statements. They all show money going into my account and that I am pretty much solvent. I passed the credit check and the identity check as well as my right to rent. My landlord gave a sparkling reference. And then I got the call.

The wanted to see where some payments into my bank account came from. I told them that information related to a third party who could not be expected to diculge their private data and furthermore my business bank accounts would also reveal information that is private to other businesses. This would constitute a data protection breach. They could have asked for a bankers reference or a client reference, but instead they requested to see information that pertains to other people.

The company that asking me to break the law is called Rent4Sure and having made a complaint to the MP in the constituency where I wish to rent, the response should be interesting. lets see how Chris Davies MP for Brecon and Radnorshire responds to this.

This is happening now and I assume that after my daughters wedding next week, I will be back with another blog. Either it will be celebrating the move or I will be a little sad, but accept that God is keeping me in Scotland for whatever purpose. 

Should this play out the way I would like it to my blog Life At The Top will continue until Christmas at which point it will be archived. i would love to start a new blog covering my life in the Beacons.

lets just see what happens.

Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth, a free range human being and a middle aged mum of three adult children and very young grandmother to two little girls, is a glass artist, and a digital strategist, She retains the right to change her mind about anything and believes in a compassionate approach to most things, you can contact her using the contact page on this blog.