Confirmation - a new milestone - cycles from the Bible.

In our denomination, adults that are baptised are usually confirmed at the same time. It didn't happen to me. that way as the year was baptised our diocese didn't have a Bishop. I'm quite pleased it worked out that way for all sorts of reasons.

So it was in the Seventh year of my life as a Christian that I was confirmed into the Scottish Episcopal Church by Bishop Gregor Duncan. With a deep satisfaction that emanated from within he was accompanied by the priest that baptised me Kelvin Holdsworth who happens to be the provost of St Mary's Cathedral. I was confirmed in the place that I publicly gave my my soul to Jesus six and a bit years earlier.

The bible provides us with cycles. We were given the seven day cycle from the story of creation. The world as we know it was created in seven days. My faith was birthed and completed in seven years with a cycle of seven.

The Jewish practice of Shmittah takes seven years, the Ground is ploughed and nurtured and grown for six years and on the seventh year it lies fallow.

Debts are remitted after seven years according to biblical rules.This is particularly relevant for me because my spiritual debts are released through my baptism and seven years later stamped and sealed through my confirmation. When a person is released from a debt then they are able to start over, with new hope and new aspirations.

The number seven is very significant. There are six days that we toil and on the seventh we rest. In the seventh year of my faith although I am resting, I am actually taking stock. trying to decide where and how I want my future in my church life to play out. creation took place over six days and on the seventh God rested, although I doubt very much whether God needs rest.

Cycles of seven impact the biblical code everywhere, seven cycles of seven years ends in a jubilee year.

Jacob toiled seven years for Rachel only to be tricked into marrying Leah. He then toiled another seven years and was rewarded with Rachel. And so God rewards us in cycles too, and my reward - confirmation. Who knows where Ill be in seven years time - I hope I will be situated somewhere in the service of my God.

I could probably write a tome on the significance of the number seven in the bible, and relate it to my own faith journey and experience, I think my part has been said, and wish all my readers a fabulous week and enjoy this the seventh month!

Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth, a free range human being and a middle aged mum of three adult children and very young grandmother to two little girls, is a glass artist, and a digital strategist, She retains the right to change her mind about anything and believes in a compassionate approach to most things, you can contact her using the contact page on this blog.