A journey tinged with heartache

On the 4th of April, I shall participate in act that will for all intents and purposes cut me off from my people. By publicly entering the family of Christ I become an heretic amongst my own people. Now Judaism being the hair splitting dogma that it is, actually has different classifications of heretic and believe it or not, I do not fulfill the requirements for the worst possible heretic.

I shall not be allowed to participate in any ritual practice within a Jewish community, I cannot enjoy the rights and priveliges of my fellow people and should I die, I'll be buried, away tucked in a separated corner of the cemetery with the suicides and other heretics.

I cannot be a witness in a religious court, or for the weddings of any of my children. I cannot get a religious divorce. I will be excommunicated. No fellow Jew will be allowed to consume sacramental wine after I have touched the goblet. They may not share a table with me or sit on the same bench.

All this has done, is serve to reinforce my premise that as soon as God's rules are enforced and interpreted by overzealous men, they develop a character of their own.

Isn't it a tragedy that one has to become despised amongst one faith to find fulfillment in another? Why cant we be allowed to fulfill our spiritual journey in life with the acknowledgement and love of those that have shared part of that journey, rather than have to leave them behind in sorrow?

Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth, a free range human being and a middle aged mum of three adult children and very young grandmother to two little girls, is a glass artist, and a digital strategist, She retains the right to change her mind about anything and believes in a compassionate approach to most things, you can contact her using the contact page on this blog.